cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: DirectoryGenerator using abstract Source
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 07:27:40 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 14.07.2005 10:59, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>

>> 1. move TraversableGenerator to src/core,
>

> +1

+1

>> deprecate DirectoryGenerator leaving it untouched
>

> Read below.
>
>> 2. insert some log.xxx("DG is now deprecated, please use TG instead"),
>> where "xxx" is promoted from debug to error in a few release cycles
>>
>> 3. optionally start introducing XMLGenerator the same way (though the
>> only path I can foresee is via c&p)
>>
>> In any case, avoid "extends" like the plague. If anything, the hassle
>> we're going to have because of that bunch of generators extending DG
>> should prove how extends can be harmful. Actually, it might be worth
>> thinking about refactoring the whole stuff using composition.
>

> Yeah, I know: "prefer composition over inheritance". And it might
> improve the DGs we have. But when we make DG extending TG just for a
> naming issue I see no advantage in composition and adding so many
> delegating methods.
>
> And why do you want to leave DG untouched at all? Couldn't TG do the
> same?

what implementing the DG XML syntax into TG if the Source is a "FileSource"?

> Regarding 3.: +1 for doing it the same way - what ever we will decide.

I think the name XMLGenerator is not very clear, although I have to admit
as was pointed out that ResourceGenerator is also not very clear. But
I think it would make sense to generalize it somehow anyway.

btw, I made a note within the javadoc of DirectoryGenerator pointing to
the TraversableGenerator

Michi

--
Michael Wechner