cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [CForms] Stylesheets incompatible with Saxon 8
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:22:20 GMT
On 12.07.2005 17:42, Jason Johnston wrote:

>>>It works. The only nagging doubt I have is whether removing the
>>>parameter declaration from the included files means that they cannot be
>>>used anymore by themselves. I doubt anyone is doing this, however.
>>
>>I'm doing this :-) As the name says, it's forms-*samples*-styling and it has
>>nothing to do with my application.
>

> I am doing this as well; in fact I'm only using forms-field-styling.xsl
> not imported by anything else.  So removing that variable declaration
> will break the individual stylesheets when used alone.  Authors
> shouldn't have to create a stylesheet that does nothing but include
> another single stylesheet and declare a single variable.

The way you and Reinhard are using it is the way I planned and
implemented it. Unfortunately it is not standard compliant as shown not
only by Saxon, but also by XSLTC. There were complaints about it, but I
never fixed for the reason you wrote above. Now that it is changed, I
won't revert it though ;-)

>>In my cforms2html.xsl stylesheet I have imported the general stylesheets:
>>
>>   <xsl:import
>>href="resource://org/apache/cocoon/forms/resources/forms-page-styling.xsl"/>
>>   <xsl:import
>>href="resource://org/apache/cocoon/forms/resources/forms-field-styling.xsl"/>
>>
>>But this shouldn't stop you from fixing the bug as I can set the parameter in my
>>cforms2html.xsl stylesheet.
>>
>>IIRC the forms-*samples*-styling.xsl stylesheet includes the sub-stylesheets
>>instead of importing them. If you are at it, maybe you can fix this too.

This was also with intent. Somewhere in the files it is explained.

> Actually, IIUC, changing from xsl:include to xsl:import would fix the
> issue with the duplicate variable declarations anyway, since xsl:import
> allows for overriding of variables/params/templates while xsl:include
> does not.  I am unable to verify that right now though.

This would break my analogy from the comment/explanation mentioned
above, but if the XSLT spec is that stupid and if it would help to solve
the issue, I can live with it too :-)

Joerg