cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject [CForms] ValidationError, Was: Add isValid() to a widget?
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 18:58:39 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>>Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>>>no, but the interface ValidationErrorAware has and it is implemented by most
>>>model implementations.
>>>
>>>What's your usecase?
>>
>>I just want to check if a widget is valid and then output something in
>>an own transformer. Ok, I could cast it to ValidationErrorAware but it
>>seems a little bit strange to have a validate() method on the widget but
>>no isValid() method.
>
> So anyone against it?

While on the subject of forms validation... I noticed several very annoying things:

  * Field.getValidationError() *does not* simply return validation error:
    it has side effects!!! It calls getValue() which can invoke parsing
    and validation - depending on state, resulting in weird behavior.

  * Field.setValidationError() *does not* simply set validation error:
    it *also* has side effects!!! For some reason it changes widget state,
    which can results in weird behavior.

Any objections on fixing these violations as well?

Vadim