cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Franz <afra...@optushome.com.au>
Subject Re: Running cocoon as a war archive
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:30:05 GMT
Irv Salisbury wrote:

>I have always run cocoon as an expanded war directory.  Our current
>customer is requesting we run as a war file.  Are there any resources
>or problems people have found with this strategy?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Irv

I had occasion to deal with an individual who insisted on this approach.
It stems from a desire to 'lock down' production servers to prevent any
changes. In practice, no software is perfect and there are times when a
simple one-line change will immediately fix the problem. When you need
to do this, you don't want to be making a one-line change in a staging
environment and then re-deploying a 50Mb war file. Also you can't be
totally certain that no other changes have been made in the staging
environment. I would argue from a management perspective that deploying
an expanded servlet is less risky and allows more responsive support. If
the individual insists on the .war file approach, one possible approach
is to run a staging servlet (expanded) in parallel with the production
servlet (war file) - this has the advantage of the identical
environment, available to test under production conditions & available
as a backup in an emergency.

On the technical level, there are issues with anything that needs to be
written to, such as HSQLDB.
    See
http://www.mail-archive.com/cocoon-users@xml.apache.org/msg07183.html

Doesn't this belong in users@cocoon.apache.org?