cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject [osgi] metadata
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2005 09:25:00 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> <snip/>
>
>> Just want to mention that I don't think that our users need to know
>> about OSGi at all if they don't want. They have to describe their
>> block in the descriptor (block.xml) and the rest will be done
>> automatically.
>

> Maybe or maybe not ;) The OSGi manifest is mainly about exporting and
> importing Java packages, which are concerns that we haven't discussed in
> any detail for the block descriptor. We could put this info in the
> block.xml and generate the manifest file automatically from it.
>
> In Eclipse they didn't go that way. There was some info in their pluggin
> descriptor that overlapped with the OSGi manifest. They depreciated this
> infor from the pluggin descriptor and recommend people to use the OSGi
> manifest instead. I would prefer that we do the same and consider the
> OSGi manifest and the block.xml as taking care of different concerns.

I still like the idea of automatically generating the OSGi manifest :-). All the
general properties (author, documentation, ...) are available in block.xml and
the information about the exported packages can also be generated if we seperate
between public (exported) and internal classes and libraries within our
directory structure.

[block]
   - src
     - java
        - public
          com/mycompany/project/xyz
        - internal
          com/mycompany/project/xyz/impl
   - lib
      - public
      - internal

The information about the imported packages can be looked up in the OSGi
manifest of the required block, again at build time.

In short, I think that we (usually) don't have to put import/export packages
information into it.
Of course, keeping the OSGi manifest and block.xml seperate is always an option.
Making the block build process handle both scenarios shouldn't be difficult.

---

I'm a bit confused about the relation between import/export package and
Require-Bundle. Does anybody know about this?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc