cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [Blockathon] agenda proposal
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2005 08:14:06 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 4 juil. 05, à 07:38, Reinhard Poetz a écrit :
>
>> ...We both think that placing Cocoon on the top of OSGi should be our
>> main goal...
>
> Hmm..dare I say "create an exploratory prototype of Cocoon running on
> top of OSGI" instead?

Of course you dare ;) My hope is that I will be able to get an
"exploratory prototype" runing in the OSGi whiteboard, before the start
of the Blockathon. Much of what needs to be done after that has to do
with integrating it with our build system, blocks, scripts, component
handling and so on. These are things that are unpractical to do in a
whiteboard, so I would prefer to move the OSGi stuff to the trunk as
soon as we see that it works.

I would like the Blockathon to go further than exploratory prototyping.

> I totally agree with the idea, it's just that we don't want to scare
> our users too much before there is concrete evidence that this will
> work ;-)

I don't think there is anything in this that should scare the users. As
I have expressed repeatedly the trunk should be compilable and runable
at every moment. And the OSGi stuff shouldn't affect the way users
currently do things, although it will give them more convenient ways to
do things.

IMO its mainly the developers who need to be afraid ;) There will be new
things that we need to learn. And we are not going to get "real blocks"
whithout changing some internals and spend some work on getting it done.

> Apart from that I like the plan. I'll join you guys on the Monday,
> will read about OSGI on the train to try and catch up quickly!

/Daniel