cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject [CForms binding] access to model data from repeater row widget
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2005 05:48:23 GMT
Hi,

Here is a scenario that I keep finding myself dealing with...

Some repeater is bound to a collection, and also contains one or more
widgets that are not bound to the collection elements.  For instance,
there might be a checkbox that means "do something to/with the thing in
this row".  After accepting the form, the processing entails iterating
through the rows and doing something something with the corresponding
object from the model layer, which means I need to be able to
find/access that object.

It seems like each time, I come up with some different way of handling
this, and none of them ever feels quite right.

Then I thought, if the binding framework would decorate each repeater
row widget with a property that references the bound object, things
would just be a lot cleaner.

So I made this trivial change, and it works great.  The repeater rows
now have a "model" property that references the model object to which
that row is bound.  I tweaked the JXTG macro version of the template
engine so that I can reference "${model_}" from within the
<ft:repeater-widget>.  That is really handy, because it lets me avoid
having to specify a bunch of output widgets in the the form definition
+ binding.  What I really had in mind with this change, though, was
making the flowscript easier, and it does do that... but currently in
the flow I have to unwrap() the repeater row widget by hand before I
can call getModel() on it, so before I finalize this I want to add that
to the Form flow API.  Then I think it will be just right.

However...

I realized that I have a nomenclature clash with my choice of the name
"model".  I've been using the v2 API for a long time, so I forgot in
v1, there is a Form.model property that denotes the widget value tree.
So I don't want to cause confusion with another sense of "model"... it
should be called something else.  "rowData"?  "rowObject"?  WDYT?

please advise! :-)
—ml—