cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Leicester <mark.leices...@efurbishment.com>
Subject Re: [Docs] A proposed revision, four weeks for Cocoon, and a smattering of Julie Andrews
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2005 05:05:55 GMT
Hello Glen,

Thanks for your comments! They are indeed constructive, and you are
right to raise this issue. Who are we writing for? In simplistic terms
I imagine two groups: fairly-technical and not-so-technical. My
solution has been to create one site, http://www.spreadcocoon.com, for
the not-so-technical market, and another, http://www.planetcocoon.com,
for the fairly-technical market. Spread Cocoon is modelled on
http://spreadfirefox.com. It's for people who want to know about
Cocoon, want to know how it can help them, want to hear success
stories, see example sites, know about Cocoon events, and generally buy
badges, posters, stickers and T-shirts. On the other hand, Planet
Cocoon is a rich developer community site where technical people can
find the nuts and bolts, and get on with being creative. Firefox has
similarly separated sites, and I believe the same two-pronged approach
may work for Cocoon.

This text is targeted at Planet Cocoon: experienced developers, wanting
to know more, perhaps weighing up Cocoon as a possible solution
alongside other web application frameworks. Let's get this text right
for developers. We can tailor it further for different types of
developers, like "Click here if you want to compare Cocoon with
Struts", "Click here if you want to compare Cocoon with .NET", "Click
here if you are a 1st year student who wants to change the world".

For the equivalent high-level paragraphs on Spread Cocoon, I can
imagine wholly different language oriented to the non-technical public.
Let's develop a version of this text for the general, thrill-seeking,
public.

Please remember that neither of the efforts I am discussing are in any
way official, or representative of the views of the Cocoon PMC.

You are quite right: it's about knowing your audience. I am looking
forward to hearing what you and others have to say!

Regards,
Mark