cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Consensus about documentation location - revised version
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:55:23 GMT
Le 13 juin 05, à 17:16, Linden H van der ((MI)) a écrit :

> Based on some comments I would like to revise the proposal...

I'm fine with everything you suggest, just a few comments below.

> ...- this documentation is targeted at Cocoon 2.1. This means that we
> try
> to write version-independent documentation, but when there is a
> difference between 2.1 and 2.2, the documentation will describe 2.1. If
> possible, notes will be added describing the difference in 2.2 or at
> least that there IS a difference in 2.2...

This is fine assuming there is enough energy to complete the task in
due time.
It might be safer to focus on 2.2, with the aim of being ready when 2.2
is released. But whoever does the job gets to decide, if you guys think
the above plan is workable, all the better. FWIW, I will do my best to
contribute by reviewing docs, but won't be able to do any or much
actual writing in the next few months.

> ...[Note: API docs provide a special set of generated documentation..

This will hopefully not only be the API docs, but the components docs
as well (Generators, Transformers, Serializers etc.).

If the cocoon-refdoc project [1] works out as I hope (but I have no
idea yet if it will), we'll be able to generate "manpage-like" docs
with essential information, snippets of code, etc., in an XML format
suitable for inclusion in Forrest or Daisy docs.

Don't hold your breath, but as you indicate it is good to keep that in
the back of your minds, and maybe start working on the more general
docs first, assuming the details will come from the generated reference
docs.

-Bertrand

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonRefDocProject

P.S. Helma, it seems like your mailer is breaking threads sometimes,
but not always. For example, [2] starts a new thread although it is
obviously a reply to [3]. If it's easy to fix it might be good for our
archives.

[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=111866680601135&w=2
[3] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=111866271205873&w=2