cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: Small dilemma: are Actions still recommended?
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:35:13 GMT
Thanks all for the responses. I just want to make sure I understand
your position.

On Jun 14, 2005, at 8:46 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>> Glen Ezkovich wrote:
>>

>>> Cocooners,
>>>
>>> Working on some introductory documentation I ran into a slight
>>> dilemma. I want to mention how Cocoon is able to access either
>>> the  model or a database in response to a request and produce a
>>> response  based on the result. Because of its simplicity, I will
>>> be  concentrating on JSFlow in this particular document. All my
>>> Actions  have been converted to flowscripts. I'm unsure of the
>>> communities  perspective. So, are Actions still recommended as a
>>> way to access and  process data?
>>>

>> No. The current use of actions as I see it is for small general-
>> purpose things, but not for application-level processing, which
>> should be orchestrated by the flow engine (be it flowscript of
>> javaflow)

Then the DatabaseSelectAction shouldn't be used as an example to
access Employee data from the database but the HTTPHeaderAction would
be a good example of how one can set the response headers?

>> Sylvain
>>

> Maybe so, but I'd never deprecate them.  They are still highly useful.

No doubt. While I am not using any Actions in sites at the moment I
can easily see how they would be superior in many situations.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com