cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Lutz Thomas <l...@aim-ag.com>
Subject AW: Small dilemma: are Actions still recommended?
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:56:13 GMT

>>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>> Glen Ezkovich wrote:
>>>I'm unsure of the communities
>>> perspective. So, are Actions still recommended as a way to access and
>>> process data?
>>

>> No. The current use of actions as I see it is for small general-purpose
>> things, but not for application-level processing, which should be
>> orchestrated by the flow engine (be it flowscript of javaflow)
>
>I agree, and don't forget Apples as third, non-continuation based
>alternative.
>
>--
>Reinhard Pötz           Independent Consultant, Trainer & (IT)-Coach

When I was starting with cocoon some weeks ago I was unsure, too. The only
hint I found was in the SuperSonic tour in the sample webapp
(http://r2d2:8080/webapp/samples/blocks/tour/intro/docs/bizlayer.html) where
Avalon-based Java code is recommended... which started me into writing some
custom actions and generators.
After some weeks of hard learning I now switch to javaflow. Although I have
to admit that I liked the generator idea of directly generating SAX events
for the pipeline, which looks a bit faster than putting biz objects to flow
aware generators that produce "pipeline-xml" out of it.

Maybe the document fragment mentioned above should be taken, "refreshed" and
put on the new daisy environment ? I guess this is one of the first
questions every cocoon beginner has ?

Regards,
Tom