cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: Sitemap: flow and interpreters
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2005 01:41:13 GMT

On Jun 12, 2005, at 1:18 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> Glen Ezkovich wrote:
>

>>> 2-Should we want to encourage people to write Javaflow instead
>>> of  JSFlow?
>>>

>> No. While I plan on using Javaflow going forward, JSFlow makes
>> flow  available to Javascript programers (web masters).
>>

> Interesting that you should say that because that is exactly the
> reason why we would use Javaflow.  We believe the controller and
> model are the responsibility of the software engineer and should be
> in the deployed webapp, while the view is the responsibility of the
> web guys.  Thus, using Java keeps the web guys from being tempted
> into mucking with the controller.

This is my view as well. However, I realize that there are some
people and teams working with Cocoon who are not Java developers. As
much as I would like to see everyone do things the right way (my
way), I would rather educate them, then force them. As I recall the
pet shop example uses all Javascript (except for ScriptableConnection
or some such). There are sites that are developed by multimember
teams and there are sites that are developed by individuals.
Sometimes that individual is a web guy. I don't want to make them
feel like a second class citizen by telling them that Javascript is
not good enough to use when developing with Cocoon. Even if it is
just a scripting language ;-)

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com