cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Leicester <mark.leices...@efurbishment.com>
Subject [Docs] A proposed revision, four weeks for Cocoon, and a smattering of Julie Andrews
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:42:53 GMT
Hi everyone,

Starting at the very beginning... I am reviewing the introduction on
the Cocoon home page: http://cocoon.apache.org/ (The "Apache Cocoon"
section). I've added mention of flow, templating and the forms
framework, and tried to increase the emphasis on Cocoon's suitability
for web applications (not just publishing). Possibly contentiously,
I've taken out the references to lego(TM) and glue. What do you think
of:

What is Apache Cocoon?

Apache Cocoon is an MVC web application framework uniquely suited to
XML publishing.

Apache Cocoon is founded on the principle of separation of concerns.
Cocoon's Avalon-based component architecture makes it easy to create
web applications from reusable components. You use the Cocoon Sitemap
to assemble components into pipelines. Pipelines react to client
requests, generating information from a source, transforming it, before
serializing it back to the client in the desired format. This
separation of concerns between generation, transformation and
serialization, allows the same source to be served up to your browser,
cellular phone or printer, or to be consumed by your web service.

In addition to this mature publishing framework, Apache Cocoon offers
features and frameworks to help you build full-featured web
applications. Cocoon Flow offers continuation-based scripting for your
application business logic. Cocoon Templates offer dynamic XML
generation. The Cocoon Forms framework greatly simplifies client
interaction with a growing library of user interface widgets for your
web application forms.

I've embedded links to wikipedia definitions for MVC and SoC, visible
at http://www.planetcocoon.com/node/2155.

My company will pay me to do another four weeks of full time work
reviewing Cocoon documentation (worth about £6000 I guess - a very good
place to start: that's the dough taken care of). My work will include:
- Patches to existing documents.
- Reorganisation of existing documents.
- Revisions of wiki documents.
- New documents.

In terms of semi-supported, semi-official documentation work I am aware
of Helma's efforts at http://cocoondev.org/handbook, Ray was
contributing something too, and obviously I am aware of the work
Sébastien and Me are doing at http://www.planetcocoon.com. At the
moment there seems only sporadic work on the wiki, see
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/RecentChanges. Who else is writing
content? Where? How shall we divide up the work?

If you've followed me so Far, then I have another question. What is the
best way to have my work reviewed by the community? To test my
understanding of the current process: for each revision, I would do one
of the following: make a change in the wiki (are these actively
reviewed?); send a patch to bugzilla (it'll be a lot of patches; how do
I submit reorganisations?); or as with the above, start a discussion on
the dev list (I believe the docs list is for change notifications
only?).

A less time consuming alternative for me would be to Sew it all
together at Planet Cocoon, as it is already set up with infrastructure
for anyone wishing to join in, tools for workflow, categorisation,
document hierarchy management etc. If I were to take that approach,
then my work would be continuously visible. Naturally, all my work will
be donated back to Cocoon. And then it'll be time for a nice cuppa.
Which brings us back to... What do others think?

Regards,
Mark

P.S. this took nearly all morning to write. D'oh!