cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [osgi] Changing framework?
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:13:57 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>

>>                                 --- o0o ---
>>
>> AFAICS, we need to change OSGi framework from Knopflerfish to the one
>> from Eclipse as the DirectoryGenerator and similar things are
>> necessary in Cocoon. I can't say that I'm to happy about it as the
>> documentation for the OSGi framework of Eclipse is sparse and
>> unorganized, while the Knopflerfish documentation at least is OK.
>> Furthermore the Eclipse OSGi framework has been available for
>> standalone use just a few months while Knopflerfish has been
>> available for a couple of years. Despite this there are of course all
>> reasons to believe that the Eclispe OSGi implementation is of high
>> quality as it is the kernel for Eclipse 3.0 and 3.1 and as IBM has
>> been a member of OSGi since the starting and has another products in
>> the area.
>

> Personally I like the idea of building Cocoon on Eclipse but this is
> just a gut feeling.

I guess most of us share that feeling. Eclipse has become one of the
strongest brands in OS.

> Apart from not-existing documentation I can only see one issue as
> Eclipse is a desktop application (= one single user) and Cocoon a
> server application (many parallel users). But I know too little about
> OSGi (and Eclipse) if this could really be a problem.

I don't think the multi user aspect should be a problem. It will mainly
be the concern for the servlet (Cocoon) and for the servlet container
bundle (e.g. a Yetty based one). Furthermore OSGi has a standardized
user admin service and seem to be build for handling multiple users.

>>                                 --- o0o ---
>>
>> For testing the Eclipse OSGi framework (http://www.eclipse.org/osgi/,
>> http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-core-home/main.html),

>> one extract the org.eclipse.osgi_3.1.0.jar from Eclipse 3.1M7 or
>> later (the RCP Runtime Binary is the smallest one):
>>
>> $ java -jar org.eclipse.osgi_3.1.0.jar -console
>> osgi> help
>>
>>                                 --- o0o ---
>>

>> I feel a little bit like geting a Cocoon servlet to run in the
>> current OSGi framework before changing, so that we have something
>> that is more motivating for others to work at. But then we need to
>> change to the Eclipse OSGi framework IMO. Any help would be greatly
>> appriciated.
>
> I will work on the block deployer so that I (hopefully) can
> demonstrate it at the Blockathon. After finishing it I plan to learn
> more about the implementation of blocks ...

I think that the use of OSGi will or at least can affect the way we
deploy blocks. There are bundle repositories and deployment
functionality for OSGi, http://oscar-osgi.sourceforge.net/. Eclipse also
has plugin (bundle) repositories and a deplyment framework. Maven2 seem
promissing.

IMO it would be good if we could discuss block deployment at the list a
bit, so that we can assure that all parts fit together.

/Daniel