cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [osgi] Changing framework?
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:24:31 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

<snip/>

>                                 --- o0o ---
>
> AFAICS, we need to change OSGi framework from Knopflerfish to the one
> from Eclipse as the DirectoryGenerator and similar things are necessary
> in Cocoon. I can't say that I'm to happy about it as the documentation
> for the OSGi framework of Eclipse is sparse and unorganized, while the
> Knopflerfish documentation at least is OK. Furthermore the Eclipse OSGi
> framework has been available for standalone use just a few months while
> Knopflerfish has been available for a couple of years. Despite this
> there are of course all reasons to believe that the Eclispe OSGi
> implementation is of high quality as it is the kernel for Eclipse 3.0
> and 3.1 and as IBM has been a member of OSGi since the starting and has
> another products in the area.

Personally I like the idea of building Cocoon on Eclipse but this is just a gut
feeling. Apart from not-existing documentation I can only see one issue as
Eclipse is a desktop application (= one single user) and Cocoon a server
application (many parallel users). But I know too little about OSGi (and
Eclipse) if this could really be a problem.

>                                 --- o0o ---
>
> For testing the Eclipse OSGi framework (http://www.eclipse.org/osgi/,
> http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-core-home/main.html),

> one extract the org.eclipse.osgi_3.1.0.jar from Eclipse 3.1M7 or later
> (the RCP Runtime Binary is the smallest one):
>
> $ java -jar org.eclipse.osgi_3.1.0.jar -console
> osgi> help

> I feel a little bit like geting a Cocoon servlet to run in the current
> OSGi framework before changing, so that we have something that is more
> motivating for others to work at. But then we need to change to the
> Eclipse OSGi framework IMO. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

I will work on the block deployer so that I (hopefully) can demonstrate it at
the Blockathon. After finishing it I plan to learn more about the implementation
of blocks ...

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc