cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r201870 - in /cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/src/blocks: forms/java/org/apache/cocoon/forms/util/DomHelper.java woody/java/org/apache/cocoon/woody/util/DomHelper.java
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:45:57 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> On Lun, 27 de Junio de 2005, 8:34, Vadim Gritsenko dijo:
>
>>antonio@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>>Author: antonio
>>>Date: Sun Jun 26 08:34:51 2005
>>>New Revision: 201870

>>>Log:
>>>Use org.w3c.dom.UserDataHandler instead of
>>>org.apache.xerces.dom3.UserDataHandler. Xerces now uses DOM Level 3.
>>
>>It means 2.1 won't run on older Xerces anymore. I think this is not
>>acceptable -
>>not at this moment anyway, when many containers are running with older
>>Xerces.
>>Please revert, for 2.1.
>

> The problem is the old org.apache.xerces.dom3.UserDataHandler does not
> exists in the new Xerces version.
>
> What to do?

There are at least two options:

  * Check presense of the new xerces using reflection,
    and make sure code works with both old xerces and new one.

> I want to add, I noted this version is faster and seems they fixed some
> bugs. We are using it right now in development and until now we don't
> found errors. If you have some problems with this new release, I will like
> to know about them.

Yes, I have. I won't be able to deploy Cocoon with this new Xerces for some time
till all containers, servers are upgraded to it. For some people, it could be
1/2 year to year. Cocoon 2.1 must continue to work on older Xerces releases to
ensure compatiblity with existing infrastructure a lot of folks out there have.
Not everybody can replace vital JDK parts on a whim.

If you see value in supporting new xerces, please use reflection.

Thanks,
Vadim