cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Consensus about documentation location
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2005 07:53:33 GMT
Linden H van der (MI) wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'm aware that I'm not officially a committer (yet), however, I think it
> will be a good idea to get explicit consensus on where to locate the
> docs and about a rough outline of the future actions.
>
> This is the proposal:
>
> - the current Daisy site at the zones [1] will be the "incubator" for
> the new documentation. I.e. new content is to be entered there.
> - this documentation is targeted at Cocoon 2.2. This means that we try
> to write version-independent documentation, but when there is a
> difference between 2.1 and 2.2, the documentation will describe 2.2.
> - the rules for the various roles have been defined already [2]. Note,
> registered guests can leave comments.
> - this also implies that we stick with Daisy as CMS (and not venture on
> the endless hunt for THE best system/toolset).
> - all current content in both wiki and "official docs" will be evaluated
> and either deprecated or moved over into the Daisy site.
> - once the wiki is "processed" (i.e. all documentation is (re)moved), it
> will only serve as a scratchpad, either for random thoughts/proposals or
> for users that want to offer documentation but have no editor rights in
> the Daisy site. I.e. the content of the wiki should be kept as small as
> possible and deprecated information should be removed as soon as
> possible.
It would be quite awkward if we have a documentation site but direct
users to write their howtos and recipes on empty wiki. It looks like
you'd be saying to a common: You're not worth using our CMS. Write some
content in our trash-all-there wiki and we will kindly pick it up from
there. OR NOT.

My thought: make user registration at CMS as easy as possible. Grant
edit rights in Daisy for some cocoon-documentation-firing-ground site.
Pick documents from there and put it into main documentation with ease
when the document is mature enough. On wiki users also have to register
before editing and that did not make problems.

> - the current intention is to eventually move the content of the Daisy
> site over to the "official documentation". This is no hard coded rule
> and may be changed later.
What for really? We will have whole content there (with metadata and
comments). Why not make it default cocoon.apache.org? Every new cocoon
release would get a static snapshot of online site.