cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: CForms stabilization tasks (was Re: Marking cforms stable in 2.1.8)
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 07:36:32 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Ralph Goers wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>> The bottom line is you cannot have code sitting around forever telling
>> people its great but you have to use it at your own risk cause we
>> might change it anytime we feel like it.  This has just been going on
>> for far too long.  The code is never going to be perfect.
>

> I hear you Ralph. And my impression is that we've become shy about
> modifying this API although it is considering unstable. There are things
> that must be done though, even if as you say the result is never perfect.
>
> The main points to achieve stable state are:
> 1 - remove v2 and v3 apis
I assume there are some features that we would like to port back to v1.
Could we identify them?

> 2 - decide if we keep "form.model" and its specific JS api
Nearly all of my projects are based on that functionality. Probably
there are a lot of guys like me out there who found that functionality
semi-stable.

> 3 - make the API more bean and template friendly, as discussed recently
We can omit that for now - this has got nothing to do with public
interfaces IMO. After the fix in JXTG jx-macros.xml are performant
enough to release them as stable.

> 4 - consider the cforms expression language which is different from
> other ELs used throughout Cocoon (use in fd:assert validator but also
> other less known places)
Can we use Rhino expressions? It would be consistent with binding language.

> 5 - flatten the configuration to allow for easier extension with the
> xconf include mechanism in 2.2
I could give it a shot but I have no deeper knowledge of cocoon.xconf
syntax in this case. Do we have to make every widget a component? That
doesn't feel right.

> Other pending changes are enhancements and new features rather that
> backwards incompatible changes.
>
> How does this sound?
Fixable quite fast. Is there any official date that we aim to relase 2.1.8?