cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Marking cforms stable in 2.1.8
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 06:00:36 GMT
Ben Pope wrote:

> Yes, I agree.  The question still remains as to who's itch is irritating
> enough.  I also agree that if Cocoon is going to have a small core, that
> ultimately will consist of CForms, JXTemplate (or CTemplate?) and, well,
> core, then it needs to marked stable ASAP.  As far as I can tell, much
> work is being done in the templating areas, and CForms is hardly
> inactive.

That's not true. cForms is one of the most active developed parts in Cocoon.

To me, it looks like all these things will come together for
> 2.2, I'm not sure there is enough interest out there to get 2.1 "stable".
>
> It looks like the major contributors here see problems and/or
> inconsistancies with the core APIs that they would like fixed for 2.2,
> and that seems to be the primary push here.  I see very little talk of
> the direction for 2.1, it seems that it is already history in the minds
> of many commitors, in many respects.
>
> Of course, I do not mean to offend anybody here, and I love the work you
> are all doing, and I see your vision for 2.2, and it looks nice.  I try
> to keep up with whats going on here, although it can be a bit heavy
> sometimes, I'm mostly an observer looking in and thats what I see.
>
> Thanks for your time (and effort).

A lot of people, including committers, are using it in many projects, mostly 2.1
(I'm probably the only one who is using it based on 2.2). Please read Sylvain's
mail (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=111826132000272&w=2)
which explains very well why we are hesitating to mark the block as stable.

The problem is that the work Sylvain describes doesn't help somebody who is
already knowing and using Cocoon. *I* know why there are three different
Flowscript APIs and *I* know what I can use of them and what not. *I* also don't
have a problem to modify the forms.xconf in the future if they change, etc.
Somebody who is not that familiar with Cocoon will get lost, sooner or later.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc