cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject CForms stabilization tasks (was Re: Marking cforms stable in 2.1.8)
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:08:16 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

<snip/>

> The bottom line is you cannot have code sitting around forever telling
> people its great but you have to use it at your own risk cause we
> might change it anytime we feel like it.  This has just been going on
> for far too long.  The code is never going to be perfect.

I hear you Ralph. And my impression is that we've become shy about
modifying this API although it is considering unstable. There are things
that must be done though, even if as you say the result is never perfect.

The main points to achieve stable state are:
1 - remove v2 and v3 apis
2 - decide if we keep "form.model" and its specific JS api
3 - make the API more bean and template friendly, as discussed recently
4 - consider the cforms expression language which is different from
other ELs used throughout Cocoon (use in fd:assert validator but also
other less known places)
5 - flatten the configuration to allow for easier extension with the
xconf include mechanism in 2.2

Other pending changes are enhancements and new features rather that
backwards incompatible changes.

How does this sound?

Sylvain