cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Marking cforms stable in 2.1.8
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:15:31 GMT
Ben Pope wrote:

> It makes very little sense to mark it stable without it actually being
> what is generally considered (by this community) as stable.

> You might as well just throw away all semantics, I doubt there are
> many people here who want to release something whose API they know
> will change, and then have to support it. With all due respect, you've
> been around here long enough to know that you have to scratch your own
> itches or wait for somebody else to.

Yes. I understand that.  What I don't understand is that we have killed
off the alternative forms blocks and have been telling folks to use
CForms.  But at the same time we are telling them that it is not
stable.  In effect, this means we are telling our customers that Cocoon
as a whole is not stable because it does not have a stable forms
framework.  And while I haven't yet wandered into the code in CForms I
care greatly how Cocoon is perceived by our customers.

Now CForms has been under development for quite some time.  I find it
hard to believe that if the problems that are left were so serious that
it makes the framework unusable in a production environment that they
wouldn't have been fixed by now.

The bottom line is you cannot have code sitting around forever telling
people its great but you have to use it at your own risk cause we might
change it anytime we feel like it.  This has just been going on for far
too long.  The code is never going to be perfect.

So either a) formally support what is being delivered or b) fix it so it
can be supported.  Otherwise we need to find a forms framework that can
be supported.