cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [CForms] URL Validator
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:12:32 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> I'm in need of a simple URL validator for CForms. It should test
> whether a string value represents a well-formed URL and if it doesn't,
> prepend "http://" and try again.
>
> I think this would nicely cover the use case where you need to specify
> a website address in a form but don't want to force users to specify
> the protocol.
>
> Has anybody come up with something similar before?
>
> Also, I would like the field value to be a well-formed URL in any
> case, so it should always contain a protocol part. Is it allowed for a
> validator to change the value of its widget?

Hmm... not good as the validation expects the form to be in a stable
state throughout the whole validation phase. We should even add checks
to ensure widgets don't change within the validation phase :-)

> Would it be better instead to define a new "url" datatype and
> corresponding convertor? It looks cleaner, but it also seems overkill
> to define a validator, a datatype and a convertor (plus factory
> classes) just to cover this simple use case.
>
>     WDYT?

What about a simple value-changed listener that adds the protocol when
it's not there? It will be called before the validator, which can then
check the absolute URL with its protocol.

Sylvain