cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding serializer info to SitemapSource
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:45:34 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>So the question is why do we remove the serializer information from the
>>key and validity for an internal request? Furthermore considering that
>>calling getInputStream() on a "cocoon:" source *does* use the Serializer.
>>
>>I'd like to remove this distinction and have the full pipeline key be
>>used il all cases.
>>
>>Thoughts, objections?
>>

>The caching algorithm is that smart (or complicated?) that it caches a
>pipeline based on the components and their configuration, but
>independent of the uri.

Yes, I know that :-)

>So, if you have the same pipeline twice with a
>different serializer and use the internal protocol it's basically the
>same pipeline. If you now add the serializer information, you have two
>different pipelines with two different cache results.

Sorry, I don't follow you here: in my case (as quite often) the sitemap
statements that are executed are exactly the same for the external and
internal requests, including the <map:serialize> statement. So these are
really the same pipelines.

>Couldn'T you call getInputStream() to precache?

That's what I'm doing! And in that case, the SitemapSource rightly uses
the serializer to produce the byte stream, although it's doesn't use it
to build the cache key.

>Or pre cache via http?

Eck! We have a nice cocoon: protocol that avoids going back through the
TCP and HTTP stacks! And although this isn't the case in my project,
using internal requests avoids having to care about authentication that
could be required by external requests.

Sylvain