cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Marking cforms stable in 2.1.8
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:22:05 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> The current situation is that the implementation (runs in many
> projects) and the community (large developer and user community) are
> stable, but the interfaces are *not*. I tried to express this with the
> hypothetical block descriptor fragment:
>
> <state
>  community="stable"
>  interfaces="unstable"
>  implementation="stable"/>
>
> I don't want to mark Cocoon Forms as stable if we *know now* that the
> interfaces will change. Marking Cocoon Forms as stable would require
> us to support them and we would create a lot of confusion in the
> future (e.g. the different Form APIs which are confusing enough now).

The problem is that we are recommending (and have been recommending)
CForms as our forms framework for a long time.  Even if you haven't
marked it stable, it already should be, based upon those recommendations.

> In other words, my +1 depends on a rewritten Flowscript API and
> repeater binding. As long as nobody does the actual work we will have
> to live with an "unstable" Cocoon Forms block. (though, if the
> majority of the Cocoon committers wants to mark it as stable *now* I
> won't/can't stop it but expect my -1 to express my concerns and a lot
> of "I've told you so" in the future ;-) )

I would prefer that CForms be marked stable unless the necessary work
can be done in the next 6 weeks.  Just so you know, I will be requiring
a stable CForms on the next Cocoon release or I will vote -1.

Ralph