cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Considering xdoc obsolete
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2005 19:17:34 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that thanks to Steven we have a nice Cocoon-based ASF-hosted CMS, we
> have to (and want to) use it!
>
> AFAIU by reading the recent discussions, a difficult point is the xdoc
> format used by Cocoon's internal publishing system.
>
> So what about considering xdoc obsolete, remove all the publishing stuff
> in src/documentation and migrate everything to xhtml which is understood
> both by Forrest and Daisy?

Version 0.8 of Forrest will use a subset of XHTML2 as its internal
format. Of course, Forrest will accept almost any format as input, so
you can (theoretically) use anything you want as your source format.

DaisyHTML is not XHTML. It is a limited set of XHTML elements. By
limited I mean in available elements, not in utility. It removes all the
"nasty" HTML stuff (mostly presentation related). The significance of
this is that it is not wise to use an XHTML editor to edit Daisy docs
offline, some elements will not translate into DaisyHTML.

Nevertheless, for 98% of documents DaisyHTML is great, even edited
offline with an XHTML editor. For the remaining 2% you can use true XHTML.

 > That way, we can concentrate on using the
> cool features of these modern tools without being always hindered by the
> legacy structure.

+1 to the concept as long as you are aware Daisy does not use XHTML. The
+1 part is I am continuing to work on the Daisy plugin for Forrest.

Ross