cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: cocoon-cforms-library
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:17:28 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Vishal Nagota wrote:
>
>> Dear Sir,
>>
>> I'm very much intrested in working for apache. I was thinking a lot
>> about the project on which I could work on but nothing good came to my
>> mind. The project which I liked the most among the projects given by
>> you is cocoon-cforms-library.
>>
>> At present I'm pursuing my B.Tech from IIT Bombay, India. Though my
>> department is material science, but i have a lot of interests in
>> coding & networking.
>>
>> As far as my previous works ar concerned,  I've worked on devlopment
>> of Proxy Server in java (platform independent)  as a summer project,
>> under an ISP company in Jaipur, India.
>>
>> Also I'm doing a project on computaional modeling of forging process
>> using vc++, at cemef (Ecole des Mine de Paris, France) as my summer
>> internship project.  Please see few other projects also, which I've
>> worked on in my resume at :
>>  http://homepages.iitb.ac.in/~vishal_nagota/Vishal_Nagota_resume.htm
>>
>> It would be great of you if you could let me know wether I should
>> apply for the project or not. And what are my chances to get the
>> project.
>>
>> Thanking You in Anticipation.
>

> Many thanks for your application! I (we) don't know if *you* should
> apply for the project or not. It mainly depends if you feel yourself
> able to implement the features desribed at
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonFormsScratchpad.
>
> Please have a look at the proposal and the Cocoon Forms block and give
> us a short summary about
>
>  * your experiences with Cocoon (if you don't have any, describe your
> first
>    impressions)
>  * how you want to tackle the 'cocoon-cforms-library'-project
>  * what are the crucial points of the 'cocoon-cforms-library'-project
>    in your opinion
>
> If you don't want to publish your summary so that it can be read by
> your competitors you can send it directly to me - I will ensure that
> the other Cocoon committers will get it.
>
> If you have some questions (I'm sure that you will have some in order
> to write the summary ;-) ) feel free to ask on dev@cocoon.apache.org -
> please don't send them to me directly.

There is a list of what to do:

---

If you would like to create a proposal for any of the above then we need
to follow the following process:

- student gains an overview understanding of the technologies involved
in the proposal

- student expands the initial project outline to a draft proposal text:
     - description of problem
     - description of a proposed solution
     - benefits of the solution to the Apache community
     - an approach
         - milestones in delivery
         - expected time line for delivery
     - description of relevant students skills

- student and mentors work together to finalise this proposal

- proposal is submitted to project community for comment/approval

- student registers the proposal with Google via their website

The deadline for the proposal is June 14th and the refinement of the
draft proposal will probably take more than a week. So there is no time
to spare.

I look forward to receiving your initial *draft* proposal. I stress
draft as you should not feel pressured by this it is only a starting
point for our discussions. Do not waste time trying to make it perfect,
that will happen as we discuss, it is more important that you show how
much of the project you already understand so that we know where to
start discussing.

---

that have been used at Forrest: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/forrest-dev/200506.mbox/%3c429F3DC9.8020902@apache.org%3e

and Lenya, I don't know what it origins from, it seem reasonable anyway.

Considering the summary, my personal opinion is that all discussions
should take place open at the list. That makes it possible to get some
idea abut the applicants ability to take part in our development process
and our community culture. I recognize that this possibly can be a
problem in relation to the "competition" aspect of Summer of Code, but
that is IMO not our problem. We shouldn't let any external funding
affect our community values.

/Daniel