cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code - projects and mentors wanted
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 06:26:45 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Don't want to rain on the party, but this is *summer* of code, meaning 2
> months of work[2]. Expecting students to implement difficult things
> (e.g. continuations serialization)

After skim reading the project proposals of other Apache projects and the other
OS projects I disagree that the level of continuations serialization and the
attribute based template engine is too high. 2 months of work means (at least in
Austria) 640 hours work time which is a lot. Of course, if you have to learn
Java first, the time won't be enough. And don't forget, IIRC it was a student
who founded our beloved Cocoon ;-)

 From my personal experience over the last years I'm sure that there are many
clever students out there who are definitly able to implement the difficult
topics like Rhino scope and continuations serialization but they haven't had the
itch to scratch. $4500 could change their minds ;-).

And not to forget, continuation serialization in particular, is probably more a
Rhino topic than Cocoon topic. If the students get the serialization of Rhino
scopes and continuations working, we can tackle *together* the very
Cocoon-specific topics like Avalon components and the service manager.

In the worst case nobody will apply for the topic which would mean that sooner
or later we will have to do it ourselves ;-)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc