cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: Logkit jvadocs
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:07:23 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>> On Mar, 31 de Mayo de 2005, 14:05, Vadim Gritsenko dijo:

>>> -1
>>>

> I'm also -1.  I might consider replacing logkit with UGLI, but not LOG4J
> directly. However, (a) UGLI is part of LOG4J 1.3 which is still alpha,
> (b) an analysis needs to be done to determine how UGLI performs compared
> to logkit, and (c) it needs to be determined if there will be any
> deployment problems (i.e what if Weblogic/JBoss/Websphere ships its own
> UGLI jar and requires that it be used).
>

>> Can you explain your reasons? Is better to stay when the porject is then
>> and even on the internet is not javadocs site to point from our docs?
>>

> 1. logkit isn't exactly dead. It doesn't seem like it has any known
> problems and it does what it was designed to do.  Your statement implies
> that once a project matures and fulfills its purpose that it should then
> be abandoned because no new development is being done. That doesn't make
> sense.
> 2. If there was a large concern, Cocoon could certainly fork its own
> copy of logkit.  I see no need for this though.
>
>> Seems like the Logkit situation is going worse with time. Until when we
>> will stay tied to this dead project?
>>

> How is it getting worse?

>>> +1
>>>

>> Well, I think it is time to discuss again.
>>

> -1. Nothing has changed.
-0. I do not think this gives us any benefit. I had an issue once with
jetty 5.0 (which uses commons logging) + cocoon (with logkit) but now
the issue is gone and thanks to some kind of classloading magic that
cocoon did jetty is able to use SimpleLog and cocoon is using
LogKitLogger with no problem at all.

By the way: I like logkit.xconf much more that log4j xml configuration.