cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.1.7 in Weblogic 8.1.4
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:33:55 GMT
>> Ok, so this is really turning out to be a pain.
>>
>> For Jason, do you still have the nozilla built rhino jars?  If not,
>> where did you get the rhino source from that works with cocoon 2.1.7.
>> It didn't jump out at us as to which version exactly was done with
>> 2.1.7.

Dunno if this was already answered. Anyway, ...

The rhino inside cocoon is a temporaly fork. It was forked to support
continuations. Initially, it was done as a proof of concept and later
adopted in cocoon trunk. The sources are in cocoondev.org:

http://cocoondev.org/main/117/31.html

This temporaly fork was one long time ago sometime between 2002 and 2003.
Sorry, I don't remember exactly the date nor month. :-(

In 2004, thanks to the talks between both communities (Cocoon and Rhino),
the Mozilla Rhino project added continuations functionality to the Rhino
trunk. The continuations support in Mozilla Rhino was officially released
in version 1.6R1 (Nov, 29th 2004). At that time, the cocoon community had
some 2.1 versions on the street using the temporaly forked version.

The Mozilla continuation implementation was mainly based on the code of
the temporaly fork, but not exactly with the same behavior. There are
small differences. Note that, it is almost the same with just some
features are differents. Some tests, showed that most Flowscript code can
run without modifications any of the jars.... I think Reinhard can explain
a lot better this. Note, this another long history. You can search the
devel maillist archives for more info. Sorry, I have no time now to search
for it right now. ;-)

Well, given the small diferences in continuations implementation between
the temporaly forked and the main rhino jar, we (cocoon developers)
decided to stick with the temporaly forked Rhino version in cocoon 2.1.x
branch. We also decided to start using the Mozilla Rhino jar with
continuations support in the main trunk (where we develop cocooon 2.2).

Also, is important to know, that is posible to use Mozilla Rhino 1.6R1 in
cocoon 2.1.x. AFAIK, it is only a configuration matter.

I hope this explain some of the "why and where" related to the temporaly
forked rhino. ;-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.