cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject [Cforms] "selectability" intrinsic to RepeaterRow? (was Re: [CForms binding] access to model data from repeater row widget)
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:35:54 GMT
On Jun 22, 2005, at 2:17 AM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Mark Lundquist wrote:
>> On Jun 20, 2005, at 11:42 PM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>> [8<----snip!----]
>>
>>>     And even more, repeater actions could have constraints on the
>>>     selection size, such as single-selection, multiple-selection,
>>>     leading these actions to be disabled if their associated
>>>     constraint isn't met.
>>
>> ...or a validation error. Like the classic "you must choose at least
>> one" constraint.
>>
> Not sure this is a validation error. In the case of actions this
> should be more a transient message (e.g. a popup).

D'oh, my bad... I missed that you are talking about repeater _actions_.
  Gotta read slower...

Anyway, that is a good idea.  And be that as it may... I would also
like automatic validation for the "must choose at least one" scenario,
because I've had to code it by hand — gee, probably _twice_ now! :-).
In my book, that calls for automation! :-)  Anyway, if selectedness
were made intrinsic as you propose, then that would enable this
validation.

Actually, I guess as "at least one" is the range [1..], we should
support the more general 'range' validation criterion here.  Maybe we
can generalize <fd:value-count> for this?

>  That isn't persisted across successive posts of a form. Now we may
> consider that actions have a special way of handling validation errors
> by clearing them at each readFromRequest() which is different from
> other widget types.
>
>>>     And finally, we may be able to specify on repeater bindings if
>>>     they have to act on the whole repeater on just on the selection.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean, can you give an example?
>
> The idea is to specify in the binding if it should operate on the full
> repeater or only on the selected rows. Something like:
> <fb:repeater use-selection="true">

Right :-)  But it does sound like it could lead to usability issues
(error-prone form designs).  I'm having trouble thinking of where
use-selection="true" in a binding would be actually useful...?

best regards,
—ml—