cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Larson <>
Subject Re: CForms Summer of Code project
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:41:55 GMT
On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:41:57AM +0200, Max Pfingsthorn wrote:
> Thank you very much, Reinhard!
> I'll fix that and submit it later today. After the email by Tim
> yesterday, I am a bit afraid that most work is already done and this
> project gets too small... I guess there is some bits of designing to
> be done, and the "marketing" anyway (i.e. docs and further examples).
> Does macro inheritance work yet? Or declaring single fields in the
> library?
> I'm sorry if I got a bit confused with whats already there and what is
> still left to be done for me.

Sorry for giving the wrong impression...when I sat
down to think about this some more, I found a lot
of work remaining :)

I will try to detail from memory what is left to do:
  Design and implement inheritance/extension and
  parameterization of macros:
    Import and reuse of macros works well now, but
    it is in the extension and parameterization where
    macros and macro libraries will become really useful.
    This will involve a fair amount of community
    discussion regarding what design features are
    desired or unwanted, and I expect that the
    implementation will involve a good bit of work.
    This part could keep you busy for quite a while.
  Create a better caching strategy for forms and macros:
    The current strategy used by the macro libs is too
    naive.  It does not know how to retire items based
    on memory pressure, looks only one level deep from
    a stale cache entry to check for additional stale
    entries that need to be reloaded for changes,
    adds an unnecessary overhead to stable production
    systems by checking for stale entries on every
    form creation, is not integrated with the normal
    configuration and store system used by the rest
    of cocoon, and has no provision for preventing
    harmful caching of dynamic forms.  This area could
    also supply you with a good quantity of work.
  Merge recent changes from trunk to whiteboard/forms:
    FormsTransformer has experienced major changes in
    the trunk, which will cause some work to update the
    template portion of the macro/lib implementation.
    Btw, Ajax support was added to the JX templator,
    and will need to be ported to the FormsTransformer.
    We will have to see how and if this will interact
    with macro support.

Hope this helps,
--Tim Larson

View raw message