cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject [docs] import tool for current docs
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:21:44 GMT
Thought I'd help out a bit with the documentation effort by writing a
tool to import the current documentation.

The facts:
 * it's written in javascript (rhino) to lower the hacking-barrier
 * it imports the xdocs starting from the source tree. It translates
them to html with an XSL and cleans them up with the htmlcleaner (so
that they would look as if edited through the daisy-wiki)
 * it imports the images
 * while creating the documents and images, a mapping between original
filenames and daisy document IDs is kept, and in a second pass the links
in all documents are translated.

What still needs to be done & issues:
 * the current XSL just contains the bare minimum to get something done
(I focussed my efforts on the import.js), someone needs to
systematically look at all the tags in the document-v10 dtd to see if
they're handled correctly (e.g. <dl> is still todo).
 * testing/verifying of the results
 * only document-v10 based documents are supported, if necessary support
for faqs and others could be added (= mainly xsl work)
 * Daisy doesn't have a <code>-like tag, we need to decide what to do
with this. Daisy doesn't have this since the Mozilla/IE editor APIs
don't support the creation of this type of tag.

How to use:
 * save the two attached files somewhere
 * customize the configuration variables on top of import.js
 * download/install a daisy distro (version 1.3-M2)
 * run with "$DAISY_HOME/bin/daisy-js import.js"