cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [Docs] A structure for "Getting Started"
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 14:53:35 GMT
On 09 Jun 2005, at 15:26, Mark Leicester wrote:

> I don't really want to define a global structure a priori because I
> expect each documentation writer will have their own view of how
> documentation should be organised.

And we now have a system which accommodates this. I was planning to
write an email today about how to best tackle document organization and
classification with our new documentation system, but plans changed
when the youngest women in my life decided against them.

As you might or might not know, you can have as many sites alongside
each other if you want, each of them exposing a different hierarchy but
using the same content.

A "site" is simply a combination of a navtree (of which there can be
many, and you can even include them into each other) and a default
collection which is used to restrict searches and to indicate in which
collection new documents are stored:
http://cocoondev.org/daisydocs-1_3/daisywiki/general/23.html

So I'd advise not to focus on structure upfront (as you indicate
yourself already), but on Document Types, more specifically: metadata -
http://cocoondev.org/daisydocs-1_3/repository/general/17.html is quite
relevant in this respect.

I'll come back to this when the mother of that young women gets home
and I can finally get to work. ;)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org