cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [SUMMARY] Caching DynamicSelectionList
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 21:26:24 GMT
Vadim's comments made me think again about the caching of selection lists. And I
don't think having a shorter cache period than a form processing (as part of one
request) makes no sense as it leads to inconsistent forms when a selection list
is reused. Having this you *can* use time-based caching as you just need to
check the cache validity on first access to the source during the form
processing. During the form processing you always use the same (buffered)
selection list.

Now I can think of optimizations of the above when you only use a selection list
(or the source it is based on to be exact) once in a form: there is no need for
buffering. Can this be determined?

Now the other validity scopes. I do not have a real idea how to configure it.
@cache="request|form|session|static"? (Is current "static" bound to form
instance or even longer? If it is the first it will be the same like what I had
in mind with "form".) Time based caching can be easily done on the pipeline as
we know or using the cached: pseudo protocol, but then you still either have no
buffered selection list sax events or you need an object holding the buffer with
the necessary lifetime.

Joerg