cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Leicester <mark.leices...@efurbishment.com>
Subject Re: Planet Cocoon license and reuse of docs
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 11:55:02 GMT
Hello Bertrand,

On 24 May 2005, at 12:20, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 24 mai 05, à 11:36, Ross Gardler a écrit :
>
>> ...For example:
>>
>> http://www.planetcocoon.com/node/1209
>>
>> is
>>
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/tutorial/tutorial-generator.html
>
> Which I find very disappointing: I fail to see the point of copying
> content from our docs on other websites.

Straight duplication is not our goal. Wherever duplication occurs, the
intention is to add value. In this specific example I copied Geoff's
document for a few reasons:
1. to illustrate that comments made in the mailing list made Sarah
Windler (who used, and praised the tutorial) could be visible in closer
proximity to the subject matter, perhaps encouraging further comment;
2. that we can use folksonomy to tag documentation like any other
material;
3. that the content might be better reorganised in book form (more to
come on this).

I agree that straight duplication achieves nothing. It might be useful
for us to debate whether the additional value I perceive that Planet
Cocoon adds, is worth the trade-off (duplication) required to achieve
it.

To kick this debate off, let's firstly define the problem. Are we
concerned with the problems that arise from forking documentation? Or,
are we trying to restrict the numbers of sources of information?

A technical solution might be to offer RSS feeds from the Apache site.
Cocoon distributions and satellite sites like Planet Cocoon could then
"phone home" for the latest documentation.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Regards!
Mark