cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Casal <da...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: Block builder and deployer
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 09:39:00 GMT
Hello all,

I apologise in advance for interrupting the thread and introducing
possibly unnecessary noise. Please tell me to go away if you find this
inappropriate.

For those of you who don't know who I am, I was the musician at GT2003.
That doesn't entitle me to pester you like this, but I hope you will
read on anyway.

I have some generic questions with regards to this Blocks/Maven2
thread, because I'm writing a report for JISC (jisc.ac.uk) that should
inform public servants in education about the future of web frameworks
(don't ask me why -I'm- writing it, they just point at random monkeys
and say things like 'go write about the future').

Firstly, I'd like your thoughts on LEGO.

Once you star-studded geniuses (I'm serious!) have figured out
Maven2-Blocks integration, how do you see the common user approaching
the development of new webapp, considering they might not have a senior
level of development experience? Could you illustrate your ideal use
case scenario?

Is it perhaps whereby LowlyDeveloperN00b downloads Cocoon, reads the
docs, gets pointed at 'Your first Webapp Tutorial', dances with Maven2,
and sees the automagic construction of a skeleton webapp which
illustrates best practice? How far do dependency injection issues get
resolved for her? Can you see a relevant RubyOnRails comparison and
might you adopt its practice? How? Do you see a point where they'll be
able to put together semi-complex webapps in LEGO style?

Secondly, if you were to think much further ahead in the future, do you
see agent-driven applications calling containers which might or might
not call Cocoon components into a user's 'Webapp Building' tool? Does
the work Stefano is carrying out at MIT (Simile, PiggyBank) make you
think of emergent people processing, whereby people might be able to
use Firefox to build web applications, by having the browser enquire
RDF repositories for the right components and their dependencies?

If you read this far, I owe you a beer. Please get creative with your
answers, comic-book style.

I'd like to have your wildest dreams for cocoon, even if all I get is
'I'd like cocoon to run my house' or 'shut the fuck up you piano
playing barbarian'.

Yours,

David Casal

--
David Plans Casal, Director of Research, Luminas Internet Applications
Tel:  +44 (0)870 741 6658    	Fax:  +44 (0)700 598 1135