cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From BURGHARD √Čric <eric.burgh...@systheo.com>
Subject Re: xslt and jxtg performance
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 18:31:25 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> If you want to help making JXTG faster you need to submit more
> information. We need examples that reproduce this behaviour with the
> JXTG template and the corresponding XSLT. We also need to know exactly
> what version of 2.2 you used. How did you measure preformance? Profiling
> info is rather helpful
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111625859100003&r=1&w=2.

I apologize. I just wanted to emphasize the fact that a partially automated
transformation produce a code that seems to be more efficient than its
original. nothing more, but i would really like to give you something more
in order to improve jxtg. I just made some quick & dirty comparison based
on access info (the log category). I use apparently the old jxtg with
macros so this is perhaps the reason.

> JXTG compiles the script to a sequence of SAX events and also compiles
> the expressions. So during execution nothing complicated is supposed to
> happen, except for what is done internally in the expressions. So there
> is really no reason that it should be any slower than saxon8. But of
> course there can be small things in specific instructions or in the
> execution engine that slows things down. When one have got the basic
> algoritms right (which I think we have), optimization is much about
> small details.

Have you some benchmarks on the xpath evaluator ? We use quite a lot of
xpath processing on a several ko dom (given as a param from flow). That's
perhaps a good reason why saxon8 handle this quicker (expressions are
indeed the same between the stylesheets).