cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Unico Hommes <un...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Block builder and deployer
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 23:30:29 GMT

Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Unico Hommes wrote:

>> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>>> Unico Hommes wrote:
>>>
>>> Nice to see you back Unico!
>>

>> Thanks Reinhard! Lurker mode is off now, but still have some catching up
>> to do. One of the things I'd been meaning to find out is what is the
>> status of your blocks builder
>

> the block-builder works as described on the wiki page. It uses the
> block.xml to generate an Ant script out of it which builds the block
> resolving all dependencies. Currently it requires more knowledge about
> how blocks will actually look like. AFAIU only little work is left but
> this requires more work on the implementation of real blocks (Daniel's
> current work on the Block(s)Manager, the OSGi integration)

Ah, ok that explains the rather suspended state of that effort I was
sensing.

>> and blocks deployer
>

> Ihe interfaces are pretty stable and the unit tests are already able to
> deploy a block. My last commits dealt with updating the wiring.xml but
> this hasn't been finished. I guess that it will take about 5 working
> days to finish the missing parts and some additional time to adapt it
> according to the requirements that will arise with the actual block
> implementation.
>
> As we currently have the ongoing discussion about OSGi, I agree with
> Daniel and Sylvain that we will have to provide our own deployment tools
> as our needs are too special. But maybe I 'm (we're) wrong here.
>
> Of course any help is very appreciated!
>
>  efforts. Especially,
>
>> is blocks builder the intented build system for 2.2?
>

> hmmm, IMO yes ;-) Some others want to use Maven. As said in some former
> discussions, it will not matter which build system will build a COB as
> long as it follows the (to be done) COB specification (block.xml,
> directory structure). I generated Ant scripts out of block descriptors
> (block.xml) as I know much more about Ant than about Maven. Finally, I
> think we will be able to provide support for both build systems which
> isn't a disadvantage IMO.

Exactly my thinking. In fact the reason I asked is that I was thinking
of starting a Maven2 plugin for cocoon. I've been looking at the
emerging Maven2 effort that is due to come out this summer and I think
its going to be a killer. IIUC I can just start that in the whiteboard
without a vote right?

- --
Unico