cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Arbogast <sebastien.arbog...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Planet Cocoon license and reuse of docs
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 21:18:17 GMT
2005/5/24, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk>:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> >>I'm sorry, but this is plain bullshit blabla to ease the pain of not
> >>using our own dog food.
> >>
> >>Cocoon is used by some huge content management systems all over the
> >>world. And it wouldn't be suitable to manage its own docs? People will
> >>laugh at us and go away.
> >

> > Sorry to get my spoon in this thread. Sylvain POV is valid. To make the
> > things clear, the problem related to cocoon docs was and IS content
> > related. No one technology is not going to automatically write the Cocoon
> > documentation for us now. We need people that write it.
> >
> > We have great CMS cocoon based as Apache Lenya or Daisy. Also there is
> > Apache Forrest. All of them can manage this task. But again the problem is
> > not about the technology.
>
> That is not correct. To use Forrest, Lenya, Daisy, or Drupal, for that
> matter, you need to be familiar with it. Mark is familiar with Drupal,
> so it is what he used.
>
> As I have said previously, people who want to write docs aren't
> necessarily the same people who want to learn and install (or even
> write) content management systems. If we want people to use a Cocoon
> based CMS, then we need to give them one! I.e. install it somewhere, set
> up the systems so that people who want to write content can just do it,
> without having to learn to use SVN, to download Forrest, etc, etc. No,
> just go to a website, click 'add', and start typing.
>
> Regards, Upayavira

I won't enter this polemic since we have already had this discussion
before and Upayavira's arguments speak for themselves.
Sylvain and Antonio let me just ask you one single question : if those
Cocoon-based CMS are so wonderful (and actually they are, but not for
what we need) why is that that Cocoon documentation is still such an
issue after five years of Cocoon development ?

For you technology is not the matter. For us it is. And we want to get
things done now. That's it. End of this discussion for me...

--
Sebastien ARBOGAST