cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Arbogast <sebastien.arbog...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Community health
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 21:16:20 GMT
> > Goodness me. There's plenty of strength of feeling expressed in this
> > email. I'm grateful to you for talking this way. I think my motivation
> > for working on spreadcocoon and planetcocoon comes from a similar place
> > so perhaps I can empathise.

lol ;-)

> > I've been thinking about ways we can keep documentation current:
> > * It strikes me that folksonomy offers developer communities some help
> > here. If documentation can be continuously re-tagged then it's
> > usefulness will evolve.

What do you call "folksonomy" exactly ? Do you mean "tagging" ?

> > * Mailing lists similarly could benefit from tagging, with tags like
> > "How do I?", "Worked for me", "Useful" etc.

Personally I think of mailing lists as really old-fashioned ways of
communicate, all the more so as they are more and more often
"attacked" by spam filters and as there is no way to moderate them and
assess contributors' participation. That's why I don't really
understand the reason why so many Open Source projects continue to use
them instead of forums. It's so easy to use, so much easier to
moderate and there are very few technical problems like spam blocking.
Moreover it's much easier to force people to use tags as you suggest.
So I totally agree with your idea but I don't think mailing lists are
really adapted for that. I'm aware of data storage issues (there must
be a database somewhere and it can rapidly grow in volume and we have
to manage backups but I think it's really worth the investment).

> > * Let's make our examples, tutorials and recipes into psuedo-unit tests.
> > This way we can automatically tell whether an example is still relevant
> > or not, as Cocoon evolves. Code samples could be generated automatically
> > from the code itself to avoid cut and paste errors.

This is definitely an excellent idea. But I don't know of any
pre-built system which manages to do such things. So we would have to
do our own, which is not a problem because I'm currently working on a
Cocoon-based management system which could easily be adapted for that
through the development of a custom module.

> apache is a do-ocracy: the more you do, the more power you gain.

Stefano, as I told before I really appreciate your work and everything
you do for Cocoon and its community and this kind of sentence is
really getting annoying, first because for more and more people apache
is more a code-ocracy than a real do-ocracy, and then because doing
without structure, organization and decision is completely pointless.
And if a few influential people don't dare to make some strategic
choices and define directions for the project as important as this
one, our calls (I'm not even a committer since I haven't "done" yet)
will just remain without effect.

--
Sebastien ARBOGAST