cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Kuhnle <li...@kuhnle.net>
Subject Re: XSP: EclipseJavaCompiler chokes on warings
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 12:20:41 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko <vadim@reverycodes.com> wrote on 31.05.2005 05:00:36:

> Jochen Kuhnle wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the EclipseJavaCompiler chokes on warnings, resulting in the XSP not
> > working. This is because in line 365 (cocoon-2.1.8-dev), it checks
against
> > "result.hasProblems()" instead of "result.hasErrors()". I'd like to
> > propose an option so the compiler ignores warnings and fails only if
there
> > are errors. However, there is more than one way to do this, so 'd like
> > ask before I create a patch:
> >
> > 1. Add a property "setIgnoreWarnings" to LanguageCompiler, configure
the
> > property in the "programming-language" section of cocoon.xconf and
have
> > CompiledProgrammingLanguage set it.
> >
> > 2. Avalonize the Compiler itself and make it configurable.
> >
> > 3. Other suggestions?
>
> Why not dump warnings into the log file (as WARNings), and stop only
> on errors -
> will this be possible?

This gives us three warning handling states: ignore, log and fail. I would
like to keep the current behaviour, because if the user does not want to
tolerate warnings, he has the "fail hard and fast" option and immediatly
gets an error page. On the other hand, if he has decided to "live with
warnings", we should make it possible for him to prevent log cluttering.

This can be part of the configurable options, but I'd like to have your
opinions on how to make the compiler configurable, by option 1. or 2.?

Regards,
Jochen