cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathaniel Alfred" <Alfred.Nathan...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [IMP] synchronization on session object in Cocoon
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 07:32:14 GMT

-1

Servlet API [1] says "Session information is scoped only to the current web application (ServletContext),
so information stored in one context will not be directly visible in another."  I read that
as "A new session object must be create for requests in different contexts and may be create
for requests in the same context."

So the circumstances under which synchronized(session) works is dependent on the servlet implementation.

But the String pool comes to the rescue.  This should work for all sessions within the same
JVM:

   synchronized(session.getId().intern()) {
   }

Cheers, Alfred.

[1]: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/servletapi/javax/servlet/http/HttpSession.html

the sender's company.