cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <gez...@cox.net>
Subject Re: Planet Cocoon license and reuse of docs
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 20:04:59 GMT

On May 26, 2005, at 1:00 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> Glen Ezkovich wrote:
>

>>> Since documentation is best gathered in a CMS, because there
>>> will  likely
>>> (hopefully) be more than one person working on it, this
>>> inevitably  means
>>> that everyone should use THAT CMS to avoid scattering
>>> documentation  all
>>> over the place (wiki, website, mailing list, blogs, own websites
>>> etc).
>>>
>> I don't think a CMS will alleviate this problem. Wikies,
>> websites,  mailing lists, blogs etc. are the most suitable places
>> for some forms  of documentation. A CMS will allow the fromal
>> Cocoon community to  better manage the content which it owns.
>>

> I am in agreement with you both. We want to encourage a single
> place to edit documentations. However, the reality is that valuable
> content appears in many different places.
>
> It is for this very reason that I encourage the use of Forrest as
> the publishing engine for Cocoon docs (as is currently the case).
> Forrest can integrate content from many different sources into a
> single seemless publication.
>
> As for the "human element" of the workflow process that is the main
> topic of this part of a rather meandering thread. That has been
> discussed to death (see a recent mail I sent to this list with
> links to many of the proposals). We need to implement something not
> talk, there is enough overlap in all the different proposals to
> make it possible to proceed. Let get on with it.
>
> I'm tired of the discussion about tool vs. people. We need people
> to write docs, we need tools to help them write docs.
>
> It is not an either or argument, why are people so polarised?

I don't think we're polarized. I just think we each emphasis
different elements. We need to realize that one without the other is
not going to work. I think we do but we each express our point of to
ensure that it is not forgotten. I for one am ready to start to
tackle the human element. There are two paths I can take, alone or in
collaboration with others. I prefer the second option but I will go
it alone if necessary. It is a long term itch and I need to scratch it.

I will put forward my intial vision of the future soon. Comments will
be greatly appreciated and given due consideration. Hopefully the
community can come to a consensus on direction, and we can work on
achieving that.

In the realm of documentation, content and organization are king and
prime minister.

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com