cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Leicester <mark.leices...@efurbishment.com>
Subject Expert pre-defined/community post-defined? [WAS: Community health]
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 13:04:48 GMT
Hi Bertrand,

I for one have been looking at the wiki regularly, making little tweaks
here and there: nothing major, but it's a regular haunt of mine. You
can verify this at: http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/RecentChanges
(Sébastien seems to have contributed a fair bit recently too!)

Back when Outerthought introduced the Cocoon wiki I thought it was a
cool tool (hey, not even based on Cocoon!). I liked it and introduced
it into my company too: we used it lots. We learned the good and bad of
wikis. Later, in my constant search for community enhancing tools, I
came across Drupal (a tool that is proving very successful all over the
problem space). I'm inventing as little as possible. That is, I'm
building on the work of others, at the same time as trying a slightly
different approach to that proposed already.

I think that when you suggested, "This is maybe the one tool that we're
missing: a way to add folksonomy tags to our docs to make them easier
to find", you are touching upon an important weakness of the wiki. The
wiki is great for contained ideas and snippets, but very poor at
encouraging the organisation of those snippets. With a wiki it is
difficult to evolve a taxonomy from the content (yes, there are ways).
Bertrand, I know you are a fellow user of del.icio.us and from that,
and your statement above, I think we may essentially agree on the
potential solution. A "jewel" in Drupal's "crown" is its taxonomy
system. Over the next few weeks I'll attempt to demonstrate the
benefits of this approach, coupled with folksonomy. Taxonomy is
'expert' pre-defined, folksonomy is community post-defined. I think the
latter has enormous potential to help in a community like ours. A bit
of both is probably perfect.

I think you are right, I probably have dismissed the "existing stuff" a
bit early. In that case, I pledge to keep in touch with the current
effort. I certainly value ongoing dialogue. However, I wonder out loud:
should we be putting documentation behind the barrier of committership
at all? I'm a community post-defined kind of person.

As I said above, over the next few weeks I'll attempt to demonstrate
what I imagine to be the myriad of potential benefits of the Drupal
approach.

Regards, and thanks!
Mark