cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: [RT] Improving Dynamic Selection List performance inside Repeaters
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 03:21:05 GMT
On Mie, 25 de Mayo de 2005, 21:44, Ralph Goers dijo:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>>Hi:
>>

>>I am not really sure if this is viable and how much time we can save
>> using
>>a short lived cache. But somehow we need to improve the cforms
>>performance.
>>
>>WDYT?
>>
>>Best Regards,
>>
>>Antonio Gallardo.
>>

> Well, I'm not really familiar with CForms, but FWIW my first thought was
> that this doesn't sound like a problem with DSL, but with caching the
> model data it operates upon. Why would you go to the database every time
> you need the same data?

OK. Perhaps the sample is not the best, lets forget about the database.
The fact is that selection list is requesting the pipeline per row. Hence,
triggering all the pipeline and all the process that it involves. And
there is where I see a waste of time. In the static selection list, this
does not happen at all. Cforms read the data once and then serve from is
own store or cache. I think this is a lot time faster.

In fact I am using OJB and since I am the only user (I am testing in my
own machine) I know the data are cached from the OJB cache. There is no
direct request to the database, where BTW, there are also cached (Again, I
am the only user). But this is still slow to my taste. Please don't
answer: "Just buy a faster processor and more RAM!". ;-) lol.

> If that is cached would the amount of time DSL
> takes matter?

This is one of my concerns. And one of the reasons of my initial mail. I
guess we can save some time by triggering the pipeline only once per
request, storing the data somewhere in the selection list, and then next
row will be served from the temporal cache. Thinking in that, it must be a
lot times faster.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.