cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Leicester <>
Subject Re: Mailing list statistics
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 09:41:06 GMT
Hi again,

Carelessly I gave the relevant permissions to *non*-authenticated
users, but not to authenticated users! Fixed now.

Steven, from many years observation on the list I understand your point
about "popularity". Is the Cocoon community's reluctance to publicise
individual contributions a constitutional thing, or is it an informal

I've been thinking about incentives for community members. The main
community incentive - beyond sharing the fruits of our labour - is
committership. That goal is a long way off for a newbie. I have
wondering about the possibility of setting other targets in between -
particularly in relation to documentation.

For example: let's say all users are given 1000 "rounds of applause" a
year. When a user feels helped by something someone wrote in our
documentation, they may choose to give a "round of applause" to the
user (or users) they think has helped them. As a helper's applause
tally rises so they achieve "Bravo" and then "Bravissimo" status. The
terms are a little bit odd perhaps, but I hope you get the idea. This
is a simple community-voted recognition of work done. There are no
benefits other than a label. If people want to opt out, they can.

This idea came from 43things where members can "cheer" each other's
goals. It has no effect other than to make people feel good about
contributing, but it's nice to be recognised.

Does anyone have any other nifty ideas for little ways to recognise
people's efforts on a day to day basis?

On 18 May 2005, at 09:03, Steven Noels wrote:

> On 18 May 2005, at 04:58, Mark Leicester wrote:
>> I've installed a "Hall of Fame" module into PlanetCocoon. This module
>> summarises activity on the site: active users, active commenters,
>> popular content, etc. It's not exact, but it gives an idea of mailing
>> list traffic. I say "It's not exact" because naturally it includes
>> activity on the site itself. I know that many of you are interested
>> in statistics, so I'll make these statistics public for now.
> With all due respect, we don't do popularity contests over here, so
> HOF is largely inappropriate. Consider renaming HOF to "list stats" -
> and make sure the list and Drupal stats are not mixed together.

View raw message