cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xslt and jxtg performance
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 17:23:48 GMT
BURGHARD Éric wrote:
> just for information,
>
> i've achieved some template migration from jxtg (2.2-dev) to
> xslt 2.0 (saxon8) and record a 7 to 10 factor speed increase on the same
> pages (cache desactivated).
>
> the templates (jx+jpath) were transformed (for the biggest part) by a simple
> xslt 2.0 stylesheet. Common constructions and expressions are almost
> trivial to convert to xslt 2.0 + xpath 2.0. jx:import is converted to
> xi:include (handled by xerces) and jx:macro to xsl:template (sometimes
> manually rewritten to xsl:function). Only a few manual modifications were
> necessary to make things work (jexl java tricks -> clean xsl). We didn't
> use fancy things at all.
>
> flow and pipeline are almost the same (sendpage params to url params, and
> dom param to generator inside pipeline).
>
> Some of our pages are still in jxtg. We need to drive transformation based
> on cform model. jxtg + cform macros are really usefull here, but i'm really
> frighten by the poor performance we have on quite a big model + template
> (several seconds: who's guilty ?).

macros in jxtemplate caused some big performance problems
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111625859100003&r=1&w=2). Thanks to Daniel the
problem has been fixed in the template block (*trunk-only*).

> I'm quite convinced that cform generator
> + xslt 2.0 library (functions and templates) could make things as easy as
> they are with jx + cform macros.
>
> Anybody went through this way before ?

Not that I know of. If you go this way, I would be interested in benchmarks
comparing the different alternatives.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc