cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Possible memory leak when handle-errors is called
Date Sun, 29 May 2005 13:56:00 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>>I noticed that the memory consumption of my 2.2 applications (I haven't looked
>>into BRANCH_2.1.X yet) is steadily increasing. First I blamed the HTMLGenerator,
>>then I found out that the produced HTML contains a lot of img, script, link and
>>iframe tags. Those tags have in common that they lead to another server request
>>for which I haven't setup any pipelines yet and though they lead to
>>'core.manager.handled-errors' exceptions (confirmed by the logs).
>>
>>Yourkit revealed that the size (retained size[1]) of CocoonServiceManager and
>>the TraxTransformer increases exceptionally. Garbage collection doesn't really
>>reduce the size of those objects.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>

> Gets the TraxTransformer recycled?

AFAICS the usual behaviour is that there is only one TraxTransformer Object,
independently from the number of requests and different stylesheets. As soon as
I call URIs that cause "handle-error" sections, new TraxTransformer objects are
created, when the handle-error sections contains an error. Setting the
"pool-max" attribute doesn't change this. AFAICS the TraxTransformer (+ all the
Xalan stuff) don't get garbage collected.

> Or perhaps the stylesheet caching
> mechanism does not work correctly. Each new stylesheet is by default
> cached in memory.

This doesn't seem to be the problem.

What's strange is the increasing number of SimpleNotifyingBean objects. Each
error creates a new instance of a SimpleNotifyingBean and they don't get garbage
collected either.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc