cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Cforms selection-lists
Date Sun, 29 May 2005 08:10:32 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 28.05.2005 14:45, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> So this must be handled entirely either in the pipeline or in the
>> selection-list.
>

> +1
>
>> You're right in saying that a pipeline querying a database cannot
>> easily be cached. Now we have in the scratchpad (and this should IMO
>> be promoted to core) a nice "cached:" protocol, which allows to cache
>> any URI for a given period of time. So your DSL can use the
>> "cached:cocoon://database-query?cocoon:cache-expires=1" to have your
>> expensive pipeline called only once in a single second.
>

> This might lead to inconsistent forms as the form request processing
> is not synchronized with this caching.

That's true. But that was the "instant, no additinal code required"
solution :-)

>> Caching in the selection-list itself can be done on a per-request
>> basis (thus ensuring the pipeline will be called only once per
>> request), by storing the selection list in a request attribute. The
>> DSL has to generate a unique attribute name (to avoid conflicts).
>> When generating the SAX fragment, either the attribute is empty and
>> the pipeline is called, caching on the fly, or the attribute exists
>> and can be used immediately. The cached value is then automatically
>> trashed at the end of the request processing.
>

> "Polluting" the request is always something to be avoided as far as
> possible IMO.

I don't see why you consider it as pollution. Request attributes do
exist, and their purpose is to provide temporary storage for the various
things that participate in processing a request and are isolated either
in space (different classes) or time (same class called several times --
our case here).

> Would it not be possible to have just one buffering
> SelectionListHandler per source and request (or form) with an internal
> SAXBuffer?

What would this handler do? Associate a buffered selection-list content
to a request? Then why not using request attributes?

Sylvain