cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Planet Cocoon license and reuse of docs
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 18:00:43 GMT
Glen Ezkovich wrote:

>> Since documentation is best gathered in a CMS, because there will  likely
>> (hopefully) be more than one person working on it, this inevitably  means
>> that everyone should use THAT CMS to avoid scattering documentation  all
>> over the place (wiki, website, mailing list, blogs, own websites etc).
>

> I don't think a CMS will alleviate this problem. Wikies, websites,
> mailing lists, blogs etc. are the most suitable places for some forms
> of documentation. A CMS will allow the fromal Cocoon community to
> better manage the content which it owns.

I am in agreement with you both. We want to encourage a single place to
edit documentations. However, the reality is that valuable content
appears in many different places.

It is for this very reason that I encourage the use of Forrest as the
publishing engine for Cocoon docs (as is currently the case). Forrest
can integrate content from many different sources into a single seemless
publication.

As for the "human element" of the workflow process that is the main
topic of this part of a rather meandering thread. That has been
discussed to death (see a recent mail I sent to this list with links to
many of the proposals). We need to implement something not talk, there
is enough overlap in all the different proposals to make it possible to
proceed. Let get on with it.

I'm tired of the discussion about tool vs. people. We need people to
write docs, we need tools to help them write docs.

It is not an either or argument, why are people so polarised?

Ross